Tuesday, June 23, 2009

can't tell me nothing




In a nutshell, my time at home...brother learned how to mow the lawn, semi-drunken cookie making at 1am, and my Grandparents' 50th Anniversary spectacular.

Having moved someplace with more interest, excitement and cultural alertness in its little finger, it is easy to forget the virtues and timelessness of home. Family that have been there forever, and friends that have been there a hell of a long time, too. Friends that you can pick up conversation with after months of not speaking...like you saw them yesterday.

It's an extremely fortunate existence I live...despite how hard it can be choosing animal figurines at HomeGoods, etc...

I'm cleaning...packing...Veronica is all gassed up and ready to go...8 or so weeks seeing an America I largely have never really seen. This time tomorrow I will be on my way to a Nationals-Sox game in DC...this time next week I will be at Glacier National Park...in two weeks Portland...three Yosemite, four Colorado, five Texas...it's astonishing. And much of it solo...simultaneously terrifying and exhilarating. 

It's startling to realize that aside from Cape Cod...Disney World...and of course Cleveland...I've had the chance to do so little traveling. I'm fortunate for what I've had, and ready to be changed by what I soon will.

Am I an East Coast boy? Is Boston my destiny? Is cheese in Wisconsin better than Vermont? Will I need that many shirts?

The big questions. Stay tuned for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment